Rep. Ed Vigil (D-Fort Garland)

Rep. Ed Vigil was elected in 2012 to his third term representing House District 62, which stretches from East Pueblo to the San Luis Valley. He is vice chairman of the Agriculture & Natural Resources Committee and chairman of the Capitol Development Committee. He also sits on the Local Government Committee and the Water Review Committee.

During his time in the legislature Rep. Vigil has been a voice for rural and Southern Colorado. In the 2014 legislation session. Rep. Vigil sponsored legislation creating a grant program for damaged rural courthouses. The grants may be used to renovate aging buildings or expand facilities that are not able to conduct court business effectively.

During the 2013 legislative session he sponsored legislation that clarifies the use of acequia ditches, allowing water from acequias to be used on a wide variety of properties. He was also co-prime sponsor of a bill that helps recruit doctors to rural areas through rural residency programs. In prior sessions he also sponsored the Green Jobs Colorado Training Program, which offers grants for job training in the wind, solar, renewable energy and energy efficiency industries, and a bill that helps provide tailored solutions to address substance abuse problems in rural Colorado.

Prior to being elected, Rep. Vigil was a Costilla County commissioner from 2000 to 2008, and for most of that time served as chairman of the board of commissioners.

Rep. Vigil owns Sangre de Cristo Laboratory in Alamosa with his wife, Evelyn. He has worked in various service roles including factory worker, social worker, substance abuse counselor, peace officer and special investigator for the district attorney.

Rep. Vigil is a sixth-generation Coloradan, born and raised in San Pablo, near San Luis. He has bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Adams State, where he studied sociology and business administration. He lives in the Fort Garland area.


Personal site

Official site

Use the below link to find out what legislative district you reside in and who your legislator is.
Find Your Representative